Tuesday, November 18, 2014

New Companion! - November 10, 2014


Hey family!

  So this week has been kind of crazy! I have a new companion! Sister Rasmusson ended up getting transferred this past week so I'm on number two. Her name is Sister Appleby and she is from Brisban, Australia! This is actually her last transfer on her mission so I'll be killing her off. She's super cool and is an amazing missionary. We get along really well and I know that we will be having a lot of fun and success this next transfer. This past week has already been really different! We have had some really long days of finding but it has been so rewarding. We have a bunch of appointments this upcoming week and I'm excited to be teaching lessons more regularly.
  One of the coolest experiences I've had so far on my mission happened this week! We had talked to a family while we were finding in Dudley and we set up an appointment for Friday. They had two kids, were super cool, and we felt like they were pretty golden. Friday came and we headed off to their house. They live in Dudley so we had to take a bus and walk for about fifteen minutes to get there. Normally we will talk to people on our way but we were a little bit behind schedule so we didn't. We finally got to Vinny and Natalie's house but when we knocked on the door they weren't there. So frustrating! So we turned around to walk away and Sister Appleby got out the phone to make a phone call. While she was waiting she told me to talk to the lady that was walking up the street towards us. It totally took me by surprise and really stressed me out! I couldn't go do it by myself! But of course, because I'm a good missionary, I did it anyways :) I crossed the street and began talking to her. Her name was Claire and she was just coming from work. I told her a little bit about who we were and what we did and began asking her a little bit about her religious background. She said that she was Catholic, is now Christian, but isn't really practicing it at the moment. Then Sister Appleby came over and they got to talking about how we had already walked by her, how she knew that we were going to stop and talk to her, and that there was something different about us. When we asked her if it was the skirts and badges she laughed but shook her head no. She said that there was just something "different" about us and that she new that she needed to talk to us. That was so cool! We kept talking with her and found out that she was actually going through a really tough time at the moment. Her mom is is hospital and isn't responding well to the help that she has been trying to give her, she had a traumatic experience when she was younger and was still suffering from it, and she didn't feel like God was helping her out. Sister Appleby starting talking to her about how God does love her and that he wants to speak with her. She started to cry and the spirit was so strong. We asked her if there was another time that we could meet with her but unfortunately she said no. She said that she didn't want to burden us with her problems and that she felt like she needed to work on herself first. We kept trying but she just said that it wasn't the right time for her. So we gave her a Book of Mormon and invited her to read and pray about it. She willingly accepted and told us that she would email us and let us know. We said a prayer with her and then said goodbye. We walked away and after a minute or two we just looked at each other amazed and what just happened.
  I'm sorry if that didn't really make sense! I'm awful at telling stories. But it was so cool because even though she didn't accept it at that time, I know that she will at some point. She was and is so prepared for the gospel! Everything happens according to the Lord's timing. I know that Vinny and Natalie weren't there for a reason. At first I wished they would have just said no so that we didn't have to take a trip all the way out there. But I realized that we needed to so that we could meet Claire. She was an absolute miracle!
  Missionary work is so amazing and I'm realizing it more and more everyday. I'm so grateful for this opportunity that I have to share the gospel with people. Some days are hard, and it can be a little bit scary, but I'm grateful for experiences and people like Claire that make you want to keep going and work even harder. I absolutely love it!
  Thank you for all of your prayers and support! I hope that everything is going well for you and that you are finding opportunities to share the gospel :) I love you all! Talk to you next week!

Love,
Sister Wilde





No comments:

Post a Comment