Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Second Most Wonderful Time of the Year! - October 6, 2014

Hello Family!
   What an amazing weekend! I'm so grateful for General Conference and for the chance that we have to hear from a living prophet. It was kind of weird to hear them talk about missionaries while being a missionary but it was definitely a cool experience. 88,000 missionaries! That is so incredible! I feel so blessed to have this opportunity to have a part in this amazing work. Unfortunately we weren't able to see the last session of conference. We watched the women's broadcast as well as the first session, and then yesterday we saw the afternoon and morning sessions. It was weird watching them so late in the day and not being in my pjs on the couch but it was so cool to be with other missionaries and members. There was definitely a special spirit there. I agree with Dad that the talks were very direct and simple. I felt like some of the main themes were that we need to be more obedient, understand the sacrament, have a firm faith in the prophet and the restoration, apply the teachings of Christ, and use His atonement daily. I know that is the only way that we can have true happiness. I feel like as the world around us is getting more complicated, the way that we need to live our lives is more simple. By following the example and teachings of Christ we will be able to withstand the temptations that are all around us. I'm so grateful for general conference and for a living prophet today. I know that he speaks for the Lord and that if we sustain him whole-heartedly and follow his counsel that we will be blessed.
   Last Thursday I was able to go on splits with Sister Burch in Harborne She is so awesome! I was able to talk to her about how I was feeling, my worries and struggles, and it was nice knowing that things do get better and that someone else has gone through the same things as me. It was just what I needed. We had plans to meet with a few new investigators but we got flogged on every single one so we GQed a little bit and stopped by some members houses. It was a lot of fun and I'm excited to have that opportunity again.
   Congrats Jesse on your race!! That is so awesome! It sounds like except football, it was a great weekend for everyone. How is the weather? It's rained a few more times since my last email, and today feels like the first day of winter. It's really windy and has been raining all morning. I finally busted out the boots, scarf, and gloves and honestly I'm pretty stoked about it. I haven't had to GQ in it though so that will probably change. Our flat is starting to get cold and I am frequently turning heaters on and off as I go from room to room. Thank you mom for the tights! They have been lifesavers! I haven't had the chance to buy a winter coat yet but we're planning on going shopping today. It kind of weird using pounds but it's becoming pretty normal. Driving on the other side of the road, however, has not. Round-a-bouts are terrifying and the roads are so small and jam packed with cars. The lady that we drove home with last night was crazy and I thought that I was going to throw up! There aren't really any rules and people just do what they want. I'm really starting to miss America. I haven't bought a bike yet because we have access to the bus. I'm sure that I will need one eventually though so hopefully I can keep enough money to do that. My clothes have worked out pretty well although there is definitely a bunch of stuff that I could have left home. We do have a grocery store right by us but it is a little more expensive so we go to an Aldi about ten minutes away. I actually really enjoy riding the bus so I don't mind going places.
   I can't beleive that it is already October!  I will hit my one month mark!! There have definitely been long days but I can already tell that the time will go by so fast. We still aren't having a ton of success but we have some people that we can contact so hopefully things will start to pick up. Once again thank you for all of your prayers and support! I know that I say that a lot but I know that I couldn't do it without you. I know that this church is true. I'm grateful that I have this opportunityto be a missionary to share the gospel with the people here in England. I know that this is where I'm supposed to be and that the Lord has a specific plan for me. I love you all! Keep up the good work! Talk to you soon!
Love,
Sister Wilde




No comments:

Post a Comment